Tuesday, March 9, 2021

 

Origins of technology

I worked several years counselling people for all kinds of things. Unwanted problems, upsets, attitudes - you name it. Many study problems as well. One of the things you learn when you help other people effectively, is how incredibly bright people actually are. I learned this as a high school teacher too - very early on. Kids are smart. Here's a tip: "you're stuck on some problem, don't know what to do? - ask someone - they'll tell you what it is." The human search engine is out there just waiting to be used.

New kid on the block. "Here's how you hold the ball to throw a curve." Then they watch you till you get it right. It's an entre technology - baseball. I spent an entire lifetime learning engineering in two languages. You'd be surprised how important fresh water is in Israel - or the number of tests you have to run on a camera that went to the moon on the Apollo shot and still sits there today! Different technologies - each, easily as important as winning a world series. You see how quickly they came up with a vaccine for the covid-19 virus? - and got about 300 million shots in people around the world already? Impossible - it's like watching the parting of the Red Sea - can't be done - and yet it does get done. i find myself asking - "why all this?" - what am I doing here? Yet, we're, all of us. on this same voyage. You see this when you teach it. What's going on? We are! we are going on...


I can recall finishing my studies of Chemical Engineering in Israel and getting caught up in the study of communication and scientology while still living in the student dormitory in Be'er Sheva. It was summer and I had been busy manufacturing little souvenir brass plates with little wooden table legs that were miniature tea tables that are so common in the middle east. I was able to etch the plates rather than work them with chisels and bang out patters, which allowed them to be completed very quickly. i tried selling them at a local souvenir shop and was surprised at how much money the proprietor gave me for them. Another Chemical Engineering student from Chile helped me find brass and acid I needed to make the little tables and volunteered to help me finish the little leg sets as well. In time he started asking me about scientology and I told him what L had heard on the radio where they had scientologists talking about e-meters and word clearing. I had a negative impression about it and let him know. I was invited to a party and told that a scientologist would be there. The scientologist was a math professor for the university and asked me about my opinions of scientology and invited me to try out the e-meter which I had been critical about and give me a demonstration "session'. I was highly impressed by the accuracy of the session and the care about definitions and the end result was a sensible way to handle problems and upsets in life which was very new for me at the time. The other student went on with his wife to England to study and I followed about a year later with my own wife and child. My brother had moved to London about two years earlier than us. I often wonder about that as well as moving to Israel. These were both life changing large moves. There was lots of social motion in the 60's and 70's in the US and world. LSD and marijuana and even wide usage of much more serious drugs, Hippies and flower children and the Symbionese liberation army and Patty Hearst. But, hey, the generation before mine went through a lot more motion than we did, tens of millions died horrible deaths in the war - millions in gas chambers in Europe. They had psychoanalysis and Freud. We had yoga and L. Ron Hubbard and Dianetics. I could have become an orthodox Jew - there's wisdom there that's lasted thousands of years on this Earth - it's all documented - the good and the bad. You wonder about causes and events and where to spend your money and who to vote for. And there's answers in Scientology and there's answers in Judaism and psychoanalysis. We don't really have a national religion here. In fact, we're probably successful because we don't take sides here and just let people be whatever they like to be and stop killing each other for differences of opinion. When you get right down to it, you, yourself should be master of your own destiny and your "way' is the right 'way" for you! Every person is unique - absolutely different - perfect in themselves - infinitely fine. How in the world did that happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment