Saturday, September 28, 2013

Indian Summer

Somehow it became warm again early today! The thermometer attached just outside my kitchen window was reading 80 degrees in the sunshine! Here it is summer again! Summer is a valuable thing  up here in northern Vermont! Time to get some wood cut and time to rake the leaves off the lawn. Time to work outside where ordinarily it wouldn't be advisable for the wind and wet and cold of just last week. Winter does come in hard, fast and sudden around here. You turn around and you're looking for snowflakes. "Thunk", just like that! "Boom" - it's winter!
So, how's it gonna be three hundred years from now? Will there still be Indian Summer here in the east of the United States when Jim Wallace gets back the the earth - if he gets back?
It would be nice to put in a section of Jim just wishing to be home in late september - early october, all comfortable and warm , watching the birds and squirrels out of his front window, the smell of fresh coffee and roasting turkey, the smiles and laughter of his family.

"Did you ever think you'd get back here for "Halloween Night" and  the children with their pranks again?" Sally asked him as she brought over a hot cup of coffee and sat down next to him. "I nearly cried once thinking exactly that." Jim smiled. It was true. I prayed. I actually prayed that I would, but I didn't know. "I knew you were in trouble. I always know when you're in trouble. I prayed too."
Sally said as she stood up to bring over some packages. "What have you got there", Jim watched curiously as the pirate costumes unfolded in front of him. "Oh no!" He pleaded as they both started to laugh. "You didn't!"

No comments:

Post a Comment