Monday, October 2, 2017

                                          Jewelry from the Holy Land

I remember being in a fix in Israel -  low money in my checking account - having enormous
difficulty at the University - language problems - family problems as well - and now my son Avi had
just been born and I had to come up with something. Bingo - I used all the chemistry experience I had
 and came up with etching miniature brass tea services. Would it work? I bought some brass plates
that had been lathe spun to the size and shape I needed - a plastic baby bath tub - a used Singer
sewing machine motor - some paraffin - some nitric and hydrochloric acid. Does this sound like how
 they started Face book or Amazon? Well - it didn't turn out quite that big - but was a turning point in my life - but
more of that later...
Now - here we were again - similar problem - similar orientation - Israeli American. The world of
electronic communication. Social media - and online Israeli jewelry sales - not manufacture - but
sales. I remember going down town Be'er Sheva to a gift store with a few of the plates I'd completed.
They had little wooden miniature leg sets too - cute - different. I wanted to see if I could make a
profit with them. I thought - "if I can get 18 Israeli Pounds for them - I'm OK". I was offered 24
Israeli pounds for each one I had and a request for more! I was in business


I could hardly believe it. American engineering and Israeli art, business insight and dire need had
combined to produce a brand new global start - up - precious metal ornamental art from the Holy
Land at a competitive price.
Now this would be just a collection of words and sentences and ideas - except it is all perfectly true -
and let's face it - that makes it interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment