Saturday, April 21, 2018

Yom Haatzmaut


                                               Yom Haatzmaut  2018                               
                                       

   Look - no one really ever expected to see Yom Haatzmaut 2018. In fact, as I recall, no one
 really expected a world to be here at all - yet here we are. Surprise!! The issues today are 
universal acceptance of Jerusalem as the Capitol of Israel, rebuilding the Temple, and 
insuring SodaStreme a place in supermarkets all over the world. Who expected to see Tel 
Aviv  grow into a mega metropolis like it is in 70 years? Not me - and I was there back in 
1972 - after - men were broadcasting live from the surface of the Moon. This was the 
closest contact I'd ever had with the American Embassy. The Moon landing was being 
shown live from the embassy. I thought to go. As it was, I only listened to it from our
balcony in Bat Yam. You know, I worked on that camera - one of the camera's that went to
the Moon - and all I got in return was a cheapo listen on our transistor radio while millions of 
people watched it on TV - the largest audience ever in the history of the world. This was not
fair I tell you! It was also not fair that there was only one TV in Tel Aviv receiving that signal 
anyhow! It was not fair that there were hardly any cars either - or telephones - or washing
machines - or most anything - really - except the most important thing - of course -
 Independence. When was the last time Israel and the Jewish people stood on their own
land a free and independent people like this? I'll tell you when - never!! Now this was after 
the six day war - after taking back Jerusalem after thousands of years. An accomplishment 
very difficult to believe happened at all - overwhelming, especially in view of the suffering 
and tragedy that preceded the establishment of the new State of Israel. A surprise if you 
will. Like so many other fine things happening today. And, do you know what I think? I think life is supposed to be an endless succession of positive events and surprises - expansion 
and development as we grow and become - even ourselves - more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment