Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Polar Vortex

I took a course in meteorology several years ago. I did quite well at it. We visited a national weather service station which was valuable experience. My mentor for the course was a well known tv weather program personality. I taught the course for many years in high schools. We had weather stations installed on the roofs. Why all this background? I never heard of a polar vortex - or not that I remember. It might be in my notebook. It could be that a polar vortex simply didn't visit this far south in all this time - about 12 years. Be that as it may, wow, it isn't the 5 degrees or so, so much as the howling winds and the 30 knot gusts. We have minus twenty, even minus thirty around here often, but it never hits this hard!
Whatever you want to call it, it certainly isn't the Beach Boys!
Take cover! Wear lots of extra clothing! Have plenty of extra heating back offs in case of failures. Stay warm and keep your sense of humor! All you need for hot chicken soup is a can of soup, some pieces of wood, a sheltered place away from the wind and some matches!

No comments:

Post a Comment