Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A "No Go" in Hardwick

Cold this morning - very cold - and following a disappointing day yesterday, could have made it feel even colder than it was! I had to go out and get more propane at the gas station. It's a problem keeping the garage from freezing in the winter, and it's not even quite winter yet! So the morning wasn't as bright and happy as it should have been! I think the birds and squirrels agree about that! I put extra rations of peanuts into their feeder and I don't think they got enough - they really need a lot of food to combat this cold. It's about our sixth winter up here and I think we're as well prepared as we've ever been. It's just come a bit early this time!
I went down to Hardwick for the first time to see about a teaching job - strictly no go. The only thing that might prove good about it is I won't have to work there. It was hard to find much to like about the place, so run down and understaffed. The math teacher seemed personable, but I though she was a student when I first saw her and it quite set me back when she was introduced to me as a teacher.  She looked about 16 or 17. I imagine that having a retired teacher, like myself, apply for the job could have been similarly disconcerting. I certainly don't like to think that way about myself, but it could be. C'est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment