Monday, July 15, 2013

Larry Feldman Travels to Dartmouth

About 50 years ago a classmate, Larry Feldman, had come back from a trip to Dartmouth College for a Lacrosse game I think. He told me some nice things about the campus. He was right. Very clean and carefully landscaped - just what a new england ivy league college should look like. He might have added, "nice people too", and been very right. I've been there about half a dozen times now since moving up here to Vermont, usually to go to a bank that has no branches in Vermont. Each time I remember Larry and his enthusiasm for this campus - and that was 50 years ago! Some things change slowly. I wonder if our main character, Jim Wallace, would ever have heard of Dartmouth? Perhaps.
Anyway, I had to go down there this morning again and it was expecially beautiful today. Warm and bright and many students around, even at this mid July date. I felt very much at home there. "My people", I thought while looked around and a pretty girl walked by and smiled as if in acknowledgement. One of those days!

Well here's a fragment for today. I hope to get in something substantial by day's end.

Jim started feeling critical about Vivi's family decisions. Weber said that many irrational feelings stem from earlier life experiences with people, forgotten lifetimes and events. Jim didn't know that feeling critical was actually irrational and as far as knowing Vivi in an earlier life, he felt he hardly really knew her now and they'd been working together a long time. No, there was no burning need for her to be on a research mission. She should have stayed home and helped her family. What kind of new depth was that?

No comments:

Post a Comment